Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Last Blog

As the end of the course nears I find myself looking back at everything I have learned. Before this class I considered myself a part of the lowbrow group, being too afraid to venture to the highbrow end of things. And now, at the end of it all, I find myself at a new beginning with an urge to explore all the wonderful readings that the highbrow world has to offer. With the gibberish rhythmic workings of Finnegans Wake constantly bouncing around in my head, I know that I am not the same person I was at the beginning of this class. I do have to admit that my favorite reading from this class is T.S. Elliot's Four Quartets. I am not much of a poetry person, but for some reason those poems have reached me. From Haroun and the Sea of Stories to The Following Story, this class was filled with a wide variety of literature, yet it all was linked as one in the end, with the five themes of the class jumping out at us from every novel. Who knew that lowbrow and highbrow could actually be connected and that you cannot have one without the other. Throughout the weeks of this course I have been filled up with the makings of this class and now, I fear, it is time to empty myself out and to begin the process over on my own.

Thank you Dr. Sexson for opening up the world of highbrow literature to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment